Having laser hair removal was one of the best things I’ve done! I absolutely hate shaving, and did not like growing my hair out to have it waxed either. When I heard about laser hair removal I decided I want to give it a try, and I have been nothing short of amazed by my results.
Laser Hair Removal
I chose to start by getting an underarm and Brazilian package, and I purchased six. I went into laser not really knowing what to expect. I had friends that had done it, and they absolutely loved it.
Things to know before you get laser hair removal:
- You need to shave prior to your appointment. If you haven’t done so you can usually shave/be shaved in the clinic, however this comes at an additional fee.
- It will hurt. It definitely doesn’t hurt as much as waxing, but you will experience some pain/discomfort.
- You have to limit your exposure to the sun. Two weeks prior, and two weeks post laser hair removal, you are instructed to stay clear of direct sunlight. I would recommend starting your laser hair removal in the fall, and continuing on into the winter, especially for larger body parts such as your arms or legs.
- You have to wait approximately six weeks between treatments, and you are not allowed to wax in between treatments.
- The clinic will probably try to talk you into purchasing more treatments than necessary. Most people achieve results within six to ten regular sessions. I would recommend purchasing six, and after the six sessions deciding if you need more, or if you are happy with the results.
- Laser is not permanent. You will most likely need to get laser approximately once or twice a year to maintain optimal results.
Pros of laser hair removal:
Laser hair removal is not permanent, but it significantly reduces hair growth. When I say significantly I mean I didn’t have to shave for MONTHS after getting six rounds of laser hair removal. I found laser hair removal to be less painful then waxing, and as treatments went on the level of pain decreased. I have found I only need to get a touch up every year or so.
I last had laser hair removal over a year and a half ago, and am definitely in need of a touch up! In saying that, I still have minimal hair growth in the areas I had treated, and when it does grow back it is much lighter and finer hair, I never have stubble or prickly hairs like I did with shaving. I personally want to have 1-3 touch up sessions just so I have to shave even less frequently (in case you couldn’t tell I really hate having any hair at all). The amount of hair I have is honestly so miniscule I could easily go several weeks or months without shaving.
Cons to laser hair removal:
- The cost: The cost of laser hair removal can be quite high! I recommend purchasing sessions in bulk as you usually get a discount, or looking for discounts online through websites such as Groupon*. For me personally, the cost was well worth it. I love only having to shave my arm pits and Brazilian area less than once a week, and it literally takes me under a minute! Also, it worked out cheaper for me to get laser hair removal then to get a wax, and the results are much more permanent.
- There are some risks: Secondly, you need to ensure you do your research before getting laser hair removal. I personally have had no issues with laser hair removal, but I have heard some horror stories of girls getting burnt, which has led to scarring. Research the clinic, see what licensing and qualifications they have to perform hair removal, and read reviews if possible.
- Laser doesn’t work for everyone: Lastly, laser hair removal isn’t effective for everyone. Depending on your skin tone or hair color, results will vary.
*Make sure you research the clinic performing the hair removal before purchasing!
If you’re thinking of getting laser hair removal, I recommend getting a consultation from the clinic you are wanting to use. The technician will be able to tell you if you are a good candidate for laser. Overall laser has been worth it for me. I am hoping to eventually get laser on my arms and legs, as I have been so impressed with the results I have seen!
Thanks for reading! If you have any questions about laser hair removal feel free to message me!