Making friends as an adult is hard. Especially when you have no coworkers and spend all your time around children! I love making friends and spending time with other people, and when I moved to Washington DC I made this one of my top priorities. I know a lot of people struggle with making new friends if they have recently moved to a new city, or even meeting people in their current city, so I thought I would share some of the ways I have met new people and made friends.
1. Bumble: A lot of people don’t know that bumble isn’t just for dating, it has a BFF function designed specifically to meet new friends! While at first it may seem daunting, you are basically online dating for friends, it is a great way to meet people wanting to make new friends! I have made a ton of really close friends from Bumble BFF, and continue to use the app to broaden my friendship circle! My tips: Be exactly who you are online, and don’t be afraid to make the first move and ask people to hang out! The worst that can happen is they say no or you don’t hear back from them!
2. Be open to meeting friends of friends: This might sound silly but hear me out! I think a lot of people, myself included, can become nervous when meeting new people. I can find it daunting the thought of hanging out with a friend and their friend for fear of being left out. But meeting friends of friends can be a great way to broaden your circle, and possibly gain a great close friend!
3. Join a local sporting team or participate in an interest you enjoy: I myself have not personally done this, but have a lot of friends who have, and have found it so useful for meeting new friends! Joining a social sports team such as volleyball or soccer is a great way to meet new people and get fit at the same time.
4. Look for Facebook pages related to interests in your area: Facebook has so many different groups its crazy! I joined a Facebook group for Australians in the USA, and then discovered there was a group for Australians living in the DC area, and through that I was able to meet some people. So take the time to search on Facebook and I am sure you can find some people in your area who share a common interest!
5. Join the gym: I recently started working out at Orange Theory, and I have met a ton of new people! I find that by going to the same class time, I tend to see the same people everyday. My gym has also had events such as happy hour after class, which is a great way to get to know the people that you’re working out with!
Thanks for reading!